The Site reopens to visitors on April 27 for the DL 52 of April 22, 2021
Online booking required for Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
The Mattatoio original buildings, built by Gioacchino Ersoch between 1888 and 1891, are considered as one of Rome’s most important industrial buildings, as well one of the more interesting examples of industrial archaeology survived until today.
The restoration project was thought up ten years ago from an idea of Zoneattive. The construction site was opened in November 2006 and it was consigned in 2010, plans included the conservative restoration and upgrading of buildings used for the swarming and slaughtering of pigs and for water tanks.
The management, entrusted to the Sovrintendenza Capitolina ai Beni Culturali's Musei in Comune system until 2017, has developed over The Site will be closed from 5 November to 3 December 2020, in compliance with the DPCM 3th November 2020
the years a path dedicated to the contemporary enriched by the presence, always within the Mattatoio, of the Accademia di Belle Arti and the Facoltà di Architettura of Roma Tre. From 2018 the management is entrusted by Roma Capitale to the Azienda Speciale Palaexpo.
The spaces are part of a complex that is at the center of a redevelopment plan that, by means of a strong and incisive vocation to research and artistic and cultural production, can reflect the city's contemporaneity, record its developments, highlight it the relief and stimulate its evolution.
Text and images copyright Sovrintendenza Capitolina ai Beni Culturali