Cavassa house, now the Civic Museum of Saluzzo, is one of the symbolic buildings of the Renaissance in Saluzzo: it was the home of Galeazzo Cavassa and his son Francesco, members of a noble family originally from Carmagnola.
In 1464 Galeazzo was vicar general of the Marquis of Saluzzo; this role was subsequently held also by his son Francesco.
At that time the residence was the subject of major decorative interventions.
The house was converted into a museum by the Marquis Emanuele Tapparelli D'Azeglio (1816-1890), who bought it in 1883 and undertaken important work of recovery.
The restorations were commissioned to the engineer Melchiorre Pulciano from Turin and to the painter Vittorio Avondo.
The Marquis Tapparelli bought on the antiques market objects and works from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries in order to recreate the decor of the house.
D'Azeglio in 1888 gave the house to the City of Saluzzo that it might be used "for museum use or municipal parties”.
Despite the many transformations in later times some works still bear witness to the splendor of the house at the beginning of the sixteenth century.
Today the museum has a sequence of 15 rooms with painted wooden, ceilings and antique furniture.
Inside the rooms there are, among other things, the altarpiece of Our Lady of Mercy, by Hans Clemer (1499 around).