A new entrance to the Coliseum to enhance enjoyment and accessibility.
The trial of the opening of a third input to facilitate the flow of visitors at the entrance of the Flavian Amphitheatre and the Roman Forum-Palatine, maintaining current safety standards, starts from Friday, July 15th.
The new entrance to the Colosseum is located on the side of Stern spur (opposite Via Labicana) from which reserved groups with their own accredited guide can only access.
The four-month trial, from July 15th to October 31st 2016, will enable to assess the real decongestion of the groups entrance, located on the opposite side (opposite the subway entrance), and the fluidity of the monument visit.
- streamlining of the queues on the front of the Colosseum
- incoming safety checks
- an alternative tour itinerary (click tour) intended to improve the fluidity of the current itineraries open to the public. These groups will have a direct access to the arena floor. From there they will visit the ring that overlooks the underground, and then will they take the ordinary circuit of visit of the monument.
Access and booking Click tour methods:
- groups from minimum 40 to maximum 50 people with accredited guide can only access.
- the accompanied group will follow a route that lasts about 20 minutes.
- at the end of the click tour the group will be accompanied in the ordinary circuit of visit and may decide to exit or to stay inside to freely visit the monument. Groups with their own guide must have their whispers, because there will no distribution of radio guides at the new entrance.
- during the reservation, you must communicate the number of participants and any reductions on tickets (full, reduced or free rate) for a total of at least 40 people and maximum 50 people.
- at the entrance of the new access, the group will have to compulsory deliver at the ticket desk the booking code and a list with the names and dates of birth of the participants.
- the service is not available during the free first Sundays of the month and the new access will be closed to the public.
- groups, which shall not exceed the maximum number of 50 people, will access with a 10 minutes
minimum interval, and will be accompanied during the route that will have a maximum duration of 20 minutes on the arena floor.
- the phone bookings will be possible from Wednesday, July13rd 2016, over the period July 15th/ August 31st, calling the number at + 39 06 399 67 700
- Mandatory prepayment of tickets and booking fee (€ 2)
Each customer can reserve a maximum of two click tour slots a day
Full € 12.00; reduced € 7.50
Reservation: € 2.00
(Reductions and gratuity under current regulations)
The same ticket grants access to the Colosseum tour circuit, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and the current exhibition in the same circuit. It is valid 2 days in a row for a single entrance to the Colosseum and only one entrance to the Roman Forum - Palatine
The construction of the largest amphitheater of the Roman Empire was started by Vespasian in 72 AD. This building was planned to change the relationship between power and people from then on: entertainment and distraction offered to the populace for free. It was used for gladiator fights and hunting simulations involving ferocious and exotic animals. The capacity is estimated around 70.000 people; the shows became occasions to impress and control the people through an unforeseen display of astonishing special effects. Today it is possible to visit and understand how the underground theatrical system worked, with hoists, ramps and trapdoors, in order to present the animals, gladiators and scenery machineries to an overwhelmed crowd. Find out the unbelievable engineering techniques that allowed ancient Romans to complete this massive structure, that has reached us today, in less than 10 years.